Patent and Invention Help Forum

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Message icon:

Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is 7 minus 2?:
Type the word:   PATENT:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

Topic Summary

Posted by: Brad
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:26:49 AM »

Each country has their own patent office.   In Europe you can file and have your patent examined in the central European Patent Office but eventually if you want protection in each individual country you have to pay a fee to nationalize your patent in each country (UK, Germany, Italy, etc.)

Sadly there is no global or international patent office.   

There is something called a "PCT Patent Application" which is a process (not a patent) to file a single application that acts as an international placeholder of sorts, essentially buying you up to 30 months to later file your application in each individual country.  More on this here:

Posted by: DannieW
« on: January 10, 2019, 05:08:47 AM »


I am new to all of this.

But I was wondering are US Patents also covered in the UK and Europe territories? Or do you need another Patent for the UK and Europe?