How much does it cost to patent an idea? It depends. There are two ways you can patent an idea:
- Write and file your own patent application (the cheapest way) - total cost about $1,520 in USPTO fees only
- Hire a registered patent attorney or patent agent to write and file a patent application for you (the most expensive way) – total cost $5,000-$10,000 mostly in attorney billing time.
If you choose to write and file your own patent application, the cost of a patent is not that great. In this case the only fees you have to pay are the official US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) fees. For the typical invention and patent process, the cost of a patent looks something like this (updated April 2012):
- File provisional patent application - USPTO fee $125
- File non-provisional patent application – USPTO fees (filing fee, search fee, etc.) about $650
- Patent Issue fee – USPTO fee $870
- Maintenance fee (due 3.5 years after your patent is allowed) – USPTO fee $565
- Maintenance fee (due 7.5 years after your patent is allowed) – USPTO fee $1,425
- Maintenance fee (due 11.5 years after your patent is allowed) – USPTO fee $2,365
Please note these fees are spread out and they do not occur all at once. A timeline might help visualize how much does it cost to patent an idea:
USPTO Patent Fees
The cost of a patent shown above assume that you are doing everything on your own and are not using a patent agent or attorney. If you want to hire a patent agent or attorney (recommended) then you will have to add on their billing rates. Most good patent lawyers will bill between $200-$400 per hour. This means that to prepare a new patent application you will be paying between $5,000-$10,000 in attorney fees plus the USPTO fees shown above.
Is there better (and cheaper) way to lower the cost of a patent? I think so and that is why I created this website. You can have a patent attorney or agent teach you how to write and file your own patent application. This will save you $1,000s in attorney fees but you will still get a good, high quality patent application. I have created a video guide walking you through the entire process of writing and filing your own patent application. I will even include my time to answer your specific questions and review your patent application to make sure everything is perfect before its filed. You can read more about these services on my services page.
Suggested Next Reading: Advantages and Disadvantages of a provisional patent
By Brad Fach
Navigate This Site
President - PatentFile, LLCBrad Fach has over 12 years of experience writing and filing patent applications with the US Patent and Trademark Office. He has personally filed over 500 patents in all technical areas ranging from consumer products to software and biotechnology. Read more....
Guaranteed “Patent Pending” with my helpI can help you write a professional, investor ready patent application at a fraction of the cost you would pay an attorney. My patent video guide walks you through the entire process step-by-step and I am available to answer any questions you may have. Find out more on the Services Page.