Patent and Invention Help Forum

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Message icon:

Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is 7 minus 2?:
Type the word:   PATENT:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

Topic Summary

Posted by: Sethrich0075
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:55:35 AM »

yeah ive been through so many patents, nothing seems to fit my application.
But i will just add a definition, that makes more sense. Thanks.
Posted by: Brad
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »

I would try to read through several patents that are related to this to get a feel for common terms used in this field.

I have used terms like "housing" and "frame" before and then you can just define those terms how you want when you write the application.   Remember, you are allowed to make up your own definitions for words so if you like the term "frame" then just define what you mean by that term in the application and show an example in the figures.

Posted by: Sethrich0075
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »

How could i word this? Or what terminology should i use to have the correct definition that satisfies the patent office, or at lest will support my claims in the future so that I can turn my PPA into a real patent.

I'm making a product that displays a symbol that is lit up... This will be acheived from by making a housing in the shape of a cube that will contain a light inside that shines on one of the walls, which is clear, that contains an emblem or symbol on it to make it look like the symbol is lit up.
What do I call the cube or ''housing'', and clear wall will be removable so one can change the symbol on it.
 Could I say assembly? If so what would i say. Lighting assembly? Symbol assembly.
Also there will be a frame that holds a set (3) of these lights... What do I call the frame?
I dont know of any product that i can refer to so i can steal some terminology

Is there a website I can use to look up terminology that is used for patents?