Patent and Invention Help Forum

Anyone out there actually have a protro type fabricated?

Anyone out there actually have a protro type fabricated?
« on: May 22, 2015, 03:12:48 PM »
My invention is a fairly simple switch with a couple springs and a couple on off switches, the tolerances must be tight and smooth or it will not function properly. I am not having much luck building it myself ...so far...  I am just wondering if anyone has actually gone through the process and can recommend a company or a company to stay away from. What were your costs, you know just helpful insights.

Brad

• Patent Agent
  • Owner of PatentFile, LLC
    • View Profile
    • Patent File
Re: Anyone out there actually have a protro type fabricated?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:40:02 AM »
When I was looking to have my simple invention made (all plastic and just a few pieces) I spoke with some of the heavily marketed "invention companies" and got quotes between $20,000 - $30,000 which I thought was crazy.   No wonder they have money to advertise on TV!

I actually found a guy who did some CAD design work to help me on the side and he only charged me $1,000 and he had connections with 3D printer groups who made me a rough prototype for a few hundred.   Hopefully you can find someone near you.   I would share my guy's name but he is no longer in the business and is working a full time job.

Hopefully others here will have a better idea. 
My free patent template: http://patentfile.org/free-provisional-patent-template/

Hire Me:  http://patentfile.org/packages/

Disclaimer: The information on this site is not legal advice and is not a substitute for an attorney or a law firm.  You should seek legal counsel for legal questions.

Re: Anyone out there actually have a protro type fabricated?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »
For my prototype, I downloaded Autodesk Fusion 360 (free for 30 days), created the model and STL files that I sent to Shapeways and had 4 pieces 3D printed in a couple different materials (plastic) and colors.  Used their coupon code for free shipping.

Total cost about 20 bucks, and turnaround less than 2 weeks.

Got lucky and the design was actually dimensionaly perfect.  Got it done in one.

Then I used the same model in Fusion to created the drawings for the PPA.  Fusion will output to PDF.

Learning curve is a bit steep if you've never used a 3D modeling program before, but there are tons if YouTube videos by Autodesk and others to get you started.

Bonus:   I saw that Shapeways could 3D print in precious metals, so I designed a piece of jewelry for the wife and had it printed in sterling silver.  That got me lucky, too.